Standalone issue with Windows network file server

Paul Gries pgries at cs.toronto.edu
Mon May 7 21:37:10 EDT 2007

On 1 May 2007, at 10:40 AM, Ken Ray wrote:
> On Tue, 1 May 2007 07:49:32 -0400, Paul Gries wrote:
>>>
>>> Is the standalone running from the network as well, or is it
>>> running on
>>> a local machine?
>>
>> It's running from the network as well.  I make the standalone and
>> then copy the folder named "Windows" to the network drive.
>
> A long time ago I had issues related to UNC pathnames that Rev was
> unable to resolve which caused problems in accessing files on network
> servers. It's possible that when saving, Rev is getting the "filename"
> property of the stack and trying to write the data back to that
> location. One thing to check would be to put in some debug code that
> did "put the fileName of stack 'BlueMain'" and see what it is. If the
> network drive isn't mapped, perhaps mapping it to a drive letter and
> then setting the filename of the stack to a path that includes the
> drive letter will help.

I want to thank all of you who had suggestions.  After trying the
suggestions I received (none of which *quite* worked), I ended up
with this workaround, in case anyone else runs into the problem:

   put the fileName of stack "MyStack" into myFileName
   save stack "MyStack" as "C:\temp\MyStack.rev"
   close stack "MyStack"
   revCopyFile "C:\temp\MyStack.rev", myFileName
   open stack "MyStack"

That worked fine, but only when the network drive was mapped -- thank
you very much for that tip, Ken!  I would never have found it.

Cheers,
-Paul