Clause in the Valentina License

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Sun May 6 11:48:32 EDT 2007

> But if what is being said is that once an end user has put
> his stuff in, you the developer may not use the kit to
> extract that data in a form which he can use in some other
> competing database, well, no thanks.  We need to get our
> priorities straight:  its his data.  Don't tell him what to
> do with it.

There is no restriction on exporting your data. You cannot incorporate the
runtime into a database translator without our permission. Those are two
different things entirely.

> Take a tool - a plane or chisel for example.  A supplier
> cannot make two versions, a professional one and a DIY one,
> and solely by conditions on purchase, forbid professional
> carpenters from using the DIY one for purposes of trade.
> Once people have bought things you can't tell them how to use
> them.  You can void their warranty.  You can exempt yourself
> from damages due to injury.  But you can't stop them.  I have
> often wondered doubtrfully whether, when Filemaker sells an
> academic version of Filemaker Advanced in the EU, and forbids
> the  buyer to sell works made with it, that would hold up in
> court if challenged by some enterprising university or
> charity.  It would perhaps be wise of both supplier and buyer
> not to insist on finding out.

Almost all vendors have academic licensing that are similar to this,
Revolution, REALbasic, Visual Studio, and the rest - and of course, you have
all of the "creation" products such as Adobe sells. Id be happy if this was
clarified under law - if academic pricing/restrictions were tossed out, it
would mean the end of academic skus.

The chisel/plane example I don't agree with - those tools are used to craft
a result - you don't embed portions of a chisel or plane into your woodwork.
Of course you COULD do this but then you'd need to buy a chisel for each one
of your projects.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President