Tiny, but fast hardware for running Rev app

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Sun May 6 11:44:24 EDT 2007

rgould8 at aol.com wrote:

>I've been looking at really small PC hardware for running a Revolution app on, but this hardware needs to run in a somewhat temperature-sensitive environent, so I was hoping to investigate a "Flash-memory based hard-drive" solution, or something without a spinning HD motor. Anyone have any favorite hardware for such a feat? My basic needs are: Either USB or COM port for a device that needs to send barcode data to this terminal, plus a monitor output, plus a keyboard input.

Puppy Linux can be run from a pendrive on a PC without an HD. It's really easy to set up, but you would need to prepare it on a computer with a CD-Rom drive. Also, if the HD-less computer could not be booted directly from USB, you would also need a floppy diskette drive to achieve the pendrive boot, but I imagine that in your particular case you would want to avoid this scenario.

Rev/Linux works as well in Puppy Linux (if not better) as it does in
other distros.

So the flash-memory based solution is certainly very viable. As for the
hardware, which is the main point of your question, I really don't have
a ready-made answer. Perhaps other colleagues can help with this. One
solution might be to assemble your own.

Regards,
Bob Warren