A daft idea about using a printerserver to import video . . .

Luis luis at anachreon.co.uk
Thu May 3 18:28:31 EDT 2007

On 3 May 2007, at 20:37, Richmond Mathewson wrote:

> Luis wrote:
>
> "Well, you could use the Mac as a USB server..."
>
> Umm . . . and how would I go about assigning IP
> addresses to the USB ports?

No, you don't have to do that. Mind you, what I suggest is untested,
although I have used it to pipe serial:

Pipe the USB stream to the ethernet port. This would be done via the
shell.
Not sure if you'd need to send a signal to the cam to start streaming.
And then you'd have to figure where in /dev the USB cam is sitting...

> and:
>
> "I don't know what exactly you mean by old Mac
> printer/modem. Do you mean  ADB or parallel/serial?"
>
> I mean Serial.
>
> It was perfectly possible to connect 2 pre-PPC Macs
> together with a cable that connected the 2 printer
> ports.

Ah, you mean the ADB 'serial', with AppleTalk for the protocol.

No USB I gather...
Although an ADB to USB adapter might get you there.

PCI? Could grab some NICs from Ebay. If they're NuBus.... That's a
little trickier.

I had a couple of the old dongles for ethernet lying around (for my
IIci). If your Macs are that old I'll try to look for them.

Failing that, there is another option:

Strap a scanner to one of the older Mac monitors (scanner plugged
into your Mac Mini).
Convert the data you want to send from the old Mac into a stream
displayed on the monitor.
Read the data into the Mac Mini from the scanner and perform the
appropriate conversion.
Don't sneeze.

Cheers,

Luis.