A daft idea about using a printerserver to import video . . .

Phil Jimmieson p.jimmieson at csc.liv.ac.uk
Thu May 3 07:39:41 EDT 2007

Quoting Richmond Mathewson <geradamas at yahoo.com>:

> However, did a bit of digging on the internet and
> found this:
>
> http://www.keyspan.com/products/usb/server/homepage.spml
>
> which is a USB to Ethernet server that functions for
> all sorts of peripherals.
>
> Have to settle down and read through the PDFs.
>
> The Keyspan server might be "just the ticket".

I've got one of these, and they are excellent for peripheral sharing -
I've got 3 printers attached to it, and one scanner and they can be
accessed essentially from any computer on the network with the special
software installed (so probably not linux systems). I think keyspan
haven't made a usb 2 version though, so it may be a bit slow for some
stuff, and it isn't compatible with every usb peripheral - I've used it
with 3 different kinds of printer and a scanner without problems
though. To the computer, it just looks like the device is directly
attached. The fact its going via a network is completely transparent.

--
Phil Jimmieson
The University of Liverpool, Computer Science Dept, Ashton Bldg,