Hidden 'Application Data' folder on XP

Scott Kane scott at cdroo.com
Wed May 2 08:26:24 EDT 2007

> Using the altsplash auto-load architecture, I have one user for whom the
> loader hangs.  His specialFolderPath(35) returns as
>
> C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data
>
> but he says he has no such folder, which leads me guess is that it is
> hidden and that its invisibility is preventing the write to or the read
> from the directory.

Yup.  It's real and it is hidden - however if the user does not have Admin
rights he can't write there.   He needs to write to a folder belonging to
him.

C:/Documents and Settings/Your Users Name/Application Data.

> Is there something special I must do to make this directory usable if
> hidden?

You could instruct the user to elevate himself to an admin - while that will
work it may also be against any policies they are subject to and therefore
rendering "security" useless which probably is not a good idea.

Scott Kane
"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start
today and make a new ending." -- Maria Robinson