Unexpected quit problem solved

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Fri Jun 22 10:15:54 EDT 2007

Bug 5165 Unexpected Quits update:

The unexpected quit problem was definitely related to a graphic, but
I don't think a bad image was the culprit.

I created a whole new graphic in Photoshop from scratch and saved it
as a PNG instead of GIF as the original had been, but that did not
stop the quits.  So I abandoned the entire handler that used the
graphic and the quits stopped.

What the handler did was copy a graphic from one stack to another,
and perform a lot of manipulations on the newly pasted graphic.  It
would resize and rotate the graphic frequently.  This handler used to
work without issue.  But for some reason now it chokes the engine and
makes it quit.

I found a way to create the same type of visual without any resizing
or rotating.  And it's been running on the MacPro since yesterday
non-stop without quitting.

On the other computer, the standalone that still has the
resize/rotate handler has also been running non-stop without quit.
The only change I made was to choose a game option that turned off
that particular handler.  So it verifies the findings.

Problem solved.  Or rather, workaround found... :-)

This bug has been reported and I did make a crash log available to
the engine team.

Shari
--
Windows and Macintosh shareware games