How to determine bug severity level?

Michael Binder runr at prismpole.com
Thu Jun 21 06:36:42 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,
I am getting ready to report a bug.  Its my second bug, but will be my
first report (J Landman Gay kindly reported my first bug after it was
discussed on this list).

I am a bit uncertain about how to rate the severity level.  Actually, I
think I do understand how to rate the level, but I disagree.

My first bug was rated a minor severity level which IMO is wrong.  That
bug, when unrecognized, caused my standalone apps to lose user data
(unbeknownst to the user).

This new bug (see yesterday's thread: 'List fields MultipleHilites
property') causes my application to return bad data.

Thinking about this, I WOULD RATHER HAVE MY APPs CRASH then report
wrong data or lose data.  (if the app crashes, at least the user KNOWS
that they lost data).

I know that there are work-arounds for these bugs.  But many of you
have these bugs in your stacks, and if you haven't been been affected,
you're just lucky that your user didn't elicit the bug.

For example: IF you have a list field set to allow multiple contiguous
selected lines, AND you have not incorporated Ken Ray's workaround,
THEN you have at least a cosmetic bug.  If you then use the
'selectedlines' function to doSomething with the hilited lines, then
you have a serious bug. (because the lines returned by the function are
not the same as the hilited lines that the user sees).  In my app, that
resulted in my user editing data that she did not intend to edit, and
not even realizing the mistake.  Honestly, I would rather my app crash
then do that.

So, how would you rate this bug?

By the way, IMO the solution for the rev team is a two step solution:
First, they should quickly document these anomalies and their
work-arounds.  Once they are documented, they are not bugs...  They are
converted to enhancement requests.  Then, at their leisure, the team
can actually fix these things.

I'll be off list for a day, but I look forward to seeing your responses
tomorrow.

--Michael Binder