corrupted/nonstandard jpg crash

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Jun 20 12:48:02 EDT 2007

David Glasgow wrote:

> On 20 Jun 2007, at 5:00 am, jacque at hyperactivesw.com wrote:
>
>> There used to be a crashing bug (I thought it was fixed now though)
>> where a corrupted or non-standard image could bring down the engine.
>> That might be what's happening here. The solution is to delete the
>> image and re-import, preferably in a different format or else created
>> by a different program. Some Photoshop jpgs gave me trouble once, but
>> the same ones saved in Graphic Converter worked okay. Or try swapping
>> jpgs for gifs, or vice versa.
>

> Akk!  Didn't know about this one.  I am just working on a stack which
> will take any number of jpgs dropped in a folder by a user, then
> organise them (into various categories) and then display them (in
> various ways).  It is a dead cert that it will encounter
> corrupted/nonstandard jpgs.  Just in case  this bug hasn't been
> squashed, is there anything to watch out for?  Does the recipe
> necessarily include importing?  I only propose referencing images (in
> 2.7.4)

I think you'll be okay, the crash seems to be pretty rare (I've only
seen it myself once, years ago) and as I mentioned, I thought it was
fixed soon after that. Shari's problem may not even be related to this,
but if it is, it is likely that her image was created some years back
(she mentioned it was an older stack) using an older version of an image
editor. So I think you'll be fine; if your users do have the unlikely
crash at least you'll know where to possibly begin looking. I doubt it
will happen though, it's more of an historical problem.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com