OT: The iMac is... dead.

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Tue Jun 12 18:10:17 EDT 2007

On Jun 12, 2007, at 2:41 PM, Derek Bump wrote:

> I am in awe.  I shut down my recently acquired iMac, moved it to a
> different desk, and then plugged it back in.  Now it doesn't boot at
> all.  No LED lights up, no sound is made when the plug goes in.
> Nothing.  Checked the power source, the power strip and the power
> cord.
>  Nothing.

Derek,

Is this a G5 iMac or an intel iMac? If so there is a way to reset the
system management unit.
(See full artical at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?
artnum=301733)

Turn off the computer by choosing Shut Down from the Apple menu, or
by holding the power button until the computer turns off.
Unplug all cables from the computer, including the power cord.
Wait 10 seconds.
Plug in the power cord while simultaneously pressing and holding the
power button on the back of the computer.
Let go of the power button.
Press the power button once more to start up your iMac.

Many of the earlier iMac G5s had defective power supplies. When they
fail they often display exactly the symptoms you describe. I've had
to replace maybe 2/3 of the iMac G5 power supplies in my labs.
Fortunately they've all been covered by warranty or AppleCare. If the
process above doesn't get you going, contact the dealer and have them
check it.

HTH
Devin

Devin Asay