Problem with Browser Sampler Stack in Rev/Mac 2.8.1

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Tue Jun 5 13:47:36 EDT 2007

Thanks to all those who replied telling me the kinds of Mac Minis they
have. However, that the idea of "Mac Mini" (Intel or not) is at the root
of my problem was only a hypothesis on my part, and it seems that it is
probably not the cause.

I am using Mac OSX 10.4.9 on an Intel Core Duo 1.83 GHz Mac Mini and the
"full" version of Rev/Mac Studio 2.8.1. Everything is brand new. Apart
from Rev, the only thing I had installed before trying out the example
revBrowser stack for the first time was a trial version of Microsoft
Office, which I have since removed and replaced with Open Office. I had
to install X11 to do that. That must be the cause of the problem! Even
when I try to get as far away from Microsoft as I can, Bill Gates
pursues me and persecutes me!

But Scott Rossi for example tells me that he is using an Intel Mac Mini
with OSX 10.4.9 and that the example revBrowser stack works OK.

All I know at this point is that so far I am the only one in the world
that has fallen victim to this crash in the revBrowser, apart from Ken
Ray who experienced it for a fleeting moment. I also know that if a bug
cannot be reproduced, there is no point in even thinking of reporting
it! Instead of focusing on the equipment being used, let's focus on the
stack itself. So:

1. EVERYBODY USING REVOLUTION 2.8.1, PLEASE TRY RUNNING THE EXAMPLE
STACK "Browser Sampler.rev".

Using Rev/Mac 2.8.1, it can be found at:
2.8.1-gm-1/Resources/Examples within the Revolution folder.

Using Windows, I can't tell you where it is because I don't have #2.8.1.

2. IF YOU HAVE ANY TROUBLE AT ALL RUNNING THIS STACK, PLEASE TELL US:
(a) Exactly what platform you are using
(b) The details of the machine in use.

Beyond that, I don't know what more I can do at the moment. However, if
anybody has any suggestions (apart from funny ones related to suicide on
account of my persecution), I'd be pleased to hear them. The irony of
this situation is the fact that I have been struggling for 2 years now
to get altBrowser introduced into Rev/Linux, as Chipp Walters, Mark
Waddingham, Kevin and others will confirm. In anticipation of the
browser finally being introduced in the next version of Rev/Linux, I
splashed out on a Mac Mini specifically so that I could familiarize
myself with it. Running the "Browser Sampler.rev" stack was the very
first thing I tried to do in Rev/Mac 2.8.1, and it crashed! And nobody
else has the same problem (or so it would seem)! Something seems to be
telling me that I should not have paused in my Linux/Ubuntu crusade,
even for 10 minutes. There are forces at work here that can only be
explained in terms of some kind of divine (or diabolic) intervention.

Seriously, what I need to do now is to knock up my own versions using
the revBrowser functions so that I can discover what works and what
doesn't work, and how I can (or cannot) get around problems if or when
they arise. If I have anything to report, I'll let you know later.

Bob