AW: Runrev using Perl

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Tue Jun 5 00:19:08 EDT 2007

Tiemo wrote:
>Servus Franz,
nice to meet you again. Interesting things you're doing there  :)
I am not familiar with shell commands yet, nor perl, but how do you get a
result from the shell execution back into a runrev field "feedback"?
Tiemo

Hi Tiemo,

I do something similar with Rebol scripts or standalones. The easy way to get results back is to delete any existing relevant output file on the HD from Perl first, and after calling your Perl module to do its job, poll the existence of its output file on the HD until it appears, and when it does, put it into the RunRev field.

For an example of simple shell calls and this kind of polling, see my Linux chooser widgets at http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/stacks.htm . The demo pack you can download there is a standalone program, but there is a button you can click on to see the coding for the shell calls and polling. Or if you are using Windows, you can visit the old page (see the link at the top of the page mentioned above) and see the coding in the "Choose File" and "Choose Picture" buttons of the demo stack.

For an example of the "hybrid" use of Rev+Rebol, you might be interested in downloading my "Spam Gobbler" program at http://www.howsoft.com/linux/ and http://www.howsoft.com/linux/spamgobbler/ . But that's Linux again, which I believe is quite popular in Germany, isn't it?

Bob