PDF files handling

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 12:02:51 EDT 2007

On 7/6/07, Andre Garzia <andre at andregarzia.com> wrote:

> A system agnostic approach would be to ask the user to select and copy the
> title to the clipboard, this way, you just need to check
> clipboarddata["text"] to get your title.

Unfortunately  Rev's inter-app clipboard transferring ability is less than
stellar. Sometimes accessing the data via script works, a lot of the times
it doesn't, sometimes using keyboard short cuts work, sometimes they don't -
using menu items to cut and paste work consistently. Again this is only
referring to transferring clipboardData from other apps to Rev.

Andre can you provide a little more info on pdf2html command line tools for
OSX. I did a quick search of Man pages (using ManOpen) and the only
reference that came up for pdf was snmpdf, which of course has nothing to do
with pdfs. I did a search on google for OSX command line pdf tools and came
up with commercial products:

http://www.pdf-tools.com/asp/products.asp?name=CLS&type=shell

selling for $360 a pop!!!

If the tool already comes with OSX, how can I find out the command syntax
and options?

I currently use the free and excellent  PDF2RTFService

http://www.devon-technologies.com/products/freeware/services.html

but I can't see anywhere how to access this via the command line.

I work with lots and lots of pdf, but currently, because the clipboardData
is unreliable, I work in two steps, I use Automator to open all the pdf
files with TextEdit (PDF2RTFService taking care of the conversion process)
and save them as plain text. Then I use Rev to open and read the files and
do the real work.

Thanks