Deleting files on Vista

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Mon Jul 2 14:45:06 EDT 2007

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 13:07:46 -0500, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> I don't have Vista yet but I know this is going to come up for my
> clients eventually. Could someone give a step by step instruction for
> setting an app to run as administrator, something that I can quote
> until I break down and get my own copy?

What you do is right-click on the application and choose "Run as
Administrator" from the menu. If you're logged in with Admin privileges
and UAC turned ON, you'll get the "approval" dialog (excuse the
ASCII-only representation here):

User Account Control
An unidentified program wants access to your computer

Don't run the program unless you know where it's from or you've used it
before.

[icon] YourProgramName.exe
         Unidentified Publisher

-> Cancel
    I don't know where this program is from or what it's for.

-> Allow
    I trust this program. I know where it's from or I've used it before.

(v) Details

User Account Control helps stop unauthorized changes to your computer

If you're logged in as a non-Admin user with UAC turned ON, you'll get
the "authentication" dialog:

User Account Control
An unidentified program wants access to your computer

Don't run the program unless you know where it's from or you've used it
before.

[icon] YourProgramName.exe
         Unidentified Publisher

To continue, type an administrator password, and then click OK.

[icon] AdministratorName
         [-------Password entry field-------]

(v) Details                           [OK]  [Cancel]

User Account Control helps stop unauthorized changes to your computer

And if you're logged in with UAC turned off, you have the option in the
menu, but you don't get any prompts - it justs runs the prorgam as an
administrator.

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.