Server-side type-ahead data for Rev standalone

RGould8 at aol.com RGould8 at aol.com
Fri Jan 5 13:01:35 EST 2007

All my AJAX/Ruby-on-Rails buddies are telling me how to do this via a web
app, but I'd like to see if this is possible in Revolution:

Let's say I have a wine database of 180,000 records hosted on a server.   (I
don't, but I'm using that as an example - - my database would be different
data)

I'd like to write a Revolution standalone app that would allow a user to type
the first three characters of a wine label and have it auto-complete (make a
good guess as to what you were about to type)   This would be a hosted
database that grows every day with new uploaded information.

For instance, if I typed "Lib", I'd like Revolution to instantly provide the
option of auto-completing the field with "Liberty School" (a type of wine).
If I type "Cha", it would provide auto-completion options including "Chataeu
Coufran", etc.

The trick is that there's a ton of records.   Would this auto-complete
feature even be possible?   Are the freebie databases like mySQL on many ISP's
really up to feeding-out data in real-time like that?   It would be more like an
AJAX-call instead of an HTML query with ?parm= data tacked on the end.

Would I create a special lookup table for faster parsing?

Would a Rev CGI script buy any speed?

Any online-database that's best suited for this?

Would a single autocomplete field that can auto-complete the winery and
appellation be possible, since those are stored in separate fields in the database?

As a last resort, would a local Valentina database with Rev be able to pull
this off?

I went to script.a.licous and took a look at their auto-complete demos, but I
wasn't impressed with the speed.   (Takes nearly 2 seconds)   It would be
great if Rev could do this faster with an optimized backend.