ExternalsEnvironmentV2 Problem/Question

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Mon Feb 26 08:19:30 EST 2007

Hi,

I used the "ExternalsEnvironmentV2" package to build an external. I
used "External Creator V1.rev" and this worked fine. I then built
another external using the same method, but on the second XCode
Project, I get undefined errors since all the symbols in the
"external.h" file are undefined and the:

  #include	<revolution/external.h>

statememt also gets an error (which is obviously the cause of all the
other errors). I have two projects open, both are identical in terms
of source files, frameworks etc. The only difference (AFAIK) is the
names of the projects and the names of the folders containing the
projects. One project gives the errors described above and the other
doesn't. In both projects, selecting the "revolution/external.h" and
typing Command+Shift D (Open Quickly) brings up a dialog and the file
is not opened (although other files are opened ok using this method,
e.g. "QuickTime.h").

I have a couple of questions on this:

1.  Why is the "revolution/external.h" bracketed with <> instead of "" ?

2.  Where is the "revolution/external.h" file path defined? (e.g.
which preference panel).

3.  Where in the "External Creator V1.rev" file is the path setup?
I've looked in the TranScript source code and could not find anything
that looked like it was doing this.

4.  I'm not sure where the "revolution/external.h" file is supposed
to live. It looks like multiple versions of this are being created
for each external project that is created. Is this the case? if so,
why is it done this way? Surely it would be better to have just one
folder containing this file (and the corresponding library file).

I am using an Intel Mac Pro, Mac OS X 10.4.8, XCode V 2.4.1 (762).

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need for information.

Thanks a lot for your help.
All the Best
Dave