ANN: Vista "Gotchas" You Should Know About

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Sat Feb 24 11:14:33 EST 2007

Martin Baxter wrote:

>I don't know about the chances of this actually succeeding but Microsoft
is clearly attempting to do something about that. See:

<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/starter/default.mspx>

(first removing line wraps of course.)

Thanks for that Martin. I have not involved myself with Vista
personally, nor do I intend to do so, so I am dependent on the reviews
of others to give me info about it. As far as I understand, in order to
get full (i.e. normal) protection against viruses and all the other
nasties, you have to buy the most expensive version. The cheapest
version gives you little protection. In other words, it seems that
Microsoft are now selling protection!! Regardless of the truth or
falsity of this report, I know that my Ubuntu does not suffer from these
things. In fact, it was a virus attack that finally prompted me to leave
my Windows computer in an inactive state (particularly regarding
Internet usage) and to positively migrate to Linux. I had the Norton AV
installed plus half a dozen different antispyware progs, but to no
avail. I got infected through an e-mail that a client sent me. Later, I
discovered that her technician found 27 trojans on her computer! The
situation of virus attack here in Brazil is extremely severe because
programs such as Norton do not catch the viruses which are specifically
Brazilian.

In sum, I would say that "Vista Gotchas" is a very apt title: "gotcha"
by the most delicate parts of the (male) anatomy!

Bob