Parallels Desktop

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Wed Feb 21 13:49:23 EST 2007

Since I couldn't find this very simple information anywhere else on
Parallels website, I thought I'd mention it here:

By using Parallels with Bootcamp, one gets the best of both worlds. If
you wish, you can boot directly into Windows XP, use Apple's hardware
drivers and for all intents and purposes, run WinXP on a standard PC.
To do this, you'll need a new copy of WinXP (Home or Professional) for
installing. WinXP is unlike Mac OSX as it 'phones home' for every
computer it's installed on. So, you HAVE to have a separate copy for
each computer.

By installing the *LATEST BETA* of Parallels AFTER installing
Bootcamp, you can instruct it to 'virtualize' your Bootcamp partition,
so you don't need to reinstall WinXP again. Once installed, you can
run your virtual PC when in the Mac OSX, having access to all your
apps, files and settings you had setup in Bootcamp. With the new
Coherence option, you can actually use both Mac and PC simultaneously,
as their application windows can share the same desktop.

If you want to share files between Mac and PC for both Bootcamp and
Parallels options, be sure and choose FAT32 mode as the format for
your PC partition. In this mode, you can only create a maximum
partition size of 32 GB.

This little bit of information above, would be best posted somewhere
on Parallels website, but I couldn't find it. Some of it does appear
in the docs which ship with Parallels once you purchase it, download
it, then download the upgrade, then launch the new upgrade docs
(whew!).

HTH, Chipp