Parallels Desktop

Adrian Williams adrian at clubtype.co.uk
Wed Feb 21 06:52:13 EST 2007

Am about to take delivery of Mac Pro Quad 1Gb RAM, 250Gb HD.
The idea being to have the best of both worlds (Win+Mac).
I'll be running WinXP with Parallels to do the quick switching stuff
Mac to Win and visa-versa during development.
I deduce from posts that 1Gb will get me there, but 2Gb would be better
if I want to run Win+Mac apps simultaneously?

Boot Camp will still be needed of course to run Windows is if it were a
User (Customer's) environment.
Is Boot Camp still only available as a public beta (1.1.2)?

When I configure my new Mac Pro, should I make a partition for ALL the
Windows stuff?
If so, would 20Gb be enough for Win XP and a few apps?
Apple's web notes say that Boot Camp will create a CD for Drivers. So
how much to allow for that?

On 20 Feb 2007, at 05:59, J. Landman Gay wrote:
> Bill Marriott wrote:
>
>> As for the original question. Rev 2.8 works very well in both the
>> virtualized and the native environments.
>
> I just installed the Parallels 3.0 release candidate 3 and ...
>
> When I installed this latest version of Parallels, I had to do some
> updating of Windows OS itself. The "found new hardware" dialog
> appeared but I canceled it, thinking I'd check later because I needed
> to install the new Parallels tools first. When I went back to add
> hardware, Windows could not find anything new to add. It also told me
> that some original files had been altered and wanted to look on the
> install CD to replace them. I figured these were also Parallel Tools
> files, so I canceled that too. (Why doesn't Windows tell you what it
> is doing? "Some files" is not very descriptive.)
So what would you recommend doing about "found new hardware"?

> Do you know if either of these things might be the reason 2.8 won't
> start up? Or does anyone recall what "hardware" had to be added to the
> new 3.0 virtual drive? All older versions of Rev run fine in this new
> version of Parallels.

Did you get an answer to this - was Parallels responsible for this
affectation?
Thanks,
Adrian
Club Type