Externals Under 2.7.x

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Fri Feb 9 07:24:44 EST 2007

Hi All,

I am trying to make an External work under 2.7.4.291. I downloaded
and used the "External Creator V1.rev" from the
"ExternalsEnvironmentV2" article. At the moment I just have one
simple function that just passes back a value to the calling stack.
However I get an execution error when I run the Script. I've check
that "the externals" is set correctly and the XCode project builds ok
and I get an X86-32 bundle file ok.

I am using a Mac Pro and Runner Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.8. I only need to
produce an external for Intel based Macs at the moment.

Does anyone know if there's some kind of magic I have to perform to
make this work? If anyone has a sample Intel/Mac External they have
build that I could test to see if it works that would be great. Or if
someone could send me a sample XCode project that would be good too!

A couple of specific questions:

1.  Does the name in the EXTERNAL_BEGIN_DECLARATIONS need to be all
lowercase?

2.  Does the name in the EXTERNAL_DECLARE_FUNCTION need to be all
lowercase?

I have appended the C Code from the XCode project at the end of this
message.

Thanks in Advance for any help,
All the Best
Dave

//
**********************
//**
//**	Revolution external definition file for 'TestFPA2'
//**
//
**********************

#include	<revolution/external.h>

#include	"fpacore2.h"

//**
//**	User Definitions
//**
void crsFPAGetVersion(	char*		theArgumentArrayPtr[],
						int			theArgumentCount,
						char**		theResultPtrPtr,
						Bool*		thePassFlagPtr,
						Bool*		theErrorFlagPtr);

//**
//**	External Declarations
//**
//EXTERNAL_BEGIN_DECLARATIONS("TestFPA2")
EXTERNAL_BEGIN_DECLARATIONS("testfpa2")

//EXTERNAL_DECLARE_FUNCTION("crsFPAGetVersion",crsFPAGetVersion)
EXTERNAL_DECLARE_FUNCTION("crsfpagetversion",crsFPAGetVersion)

EXTERNAL_END_DECLARATIONS

//
**********************
//**
//**	crsFPAGetVersion
//**
//
**********************
void crsFPAGetVersion(	char*		theArgumentArrayPtr[],
						int			theArgumentCount,
						char**		theResultPtrPtr,
						Bool*		thePassFlagPtr,
						Bool*		theErrorFlagPtr)
{
TFPAui32	myFPAVersionNumber;
char		myVersionStringBuffer[32];
long		myVersionStringSize;
char*		myVersionStringBufferPtr;

//**
//**	Check the Number of Arguments
//**
if(theArgumentCount != 0)
	{
	*theResultPtrPtr = strdup("crsFPAGetVersion - Incorrect Argument
Count");
	*theErrorFlagPtr = True;
	*thePassFlagPtr = False;
	return;
	}

//**
//**	Get the Version Number
//**
myFPAVersionNumber = fpaCoreGetVersion();
sprintf(&myVersionStringBuffer[0],"%s",myFPAVersionNumber);

//**
//**	Allocate a Buffer for the String
//**
myVersionStringSize = strlen(&myVersionStringBuffer[0]) + 1;
myVersionStringBufferPtr = (char*)malloc(myVersionStringSize);
if(myVersionStringBufferPtr == NULL)
	{
	*theResultPtrPtr = strdup("crsFPAGetVersion - Memory Allocation
Error");
	*theErrorFlagPtr = True;
	*thePassFlagPtr = False;
	return;
	}

//**
//**	Copy the Version String into the Allocated Buffer
//**
strcpy(*theResultPtrPtr,myVersionStringBufferPtr);
*theErrorFlagPtr = False;
*thePassFlagPtr = False;
return;
}