finding renamed files

David Glasgow david at dvglasgow.wanadoo.co.uk
Sat Feb 3 13:46:59 EST 2007

I am looking for a quick and dirty method for walking a directory and
finding files that have been renamed by the user.  I don't need to find
them all, just as many as possible.  The folders are likely to
originally contain matching stems and progressive numbers pjf017.jpg,
pjf018 .jpg, pfj019 .jpg etc. etc, with the user renamed files standing
out completely arbitrarily by not following the pattern .

At the moment I do this using the eyeball test, which is remarkably
quick and efficient but very very very boring because there are often
thousands of files to scan.  One approach I thought of is to
progressively filter the folders' contents by nibbling a character off
the end of the first filename.  If it is completely unique (and
possibly therefore renamed), nothing will happen.  However if  9 other
files disappear, it was a name representative of progressive pattern.
Nibble another character, and so on until it is gone, and any filenames
left over didn't fit the dominant pattern in the folder.  Yes?  No? .
Any other suggestions?

Best Wishes,

David Glasgow
Carlton Glasgow Partnership