Looking for inspiration

Mark Smith mark at maseurope.net
Wed Dec 19 11:43:32 EST 2007

One way to cut down the amount of overhead of updating progress bars
and the like, is to only update them every so often:

repeat for each line L in some BigList
   add 1 to c
   if c mod 50 = 0 then set the thumbPos of sb "progressBar" to c

Of course, you're adding the overhead of maintaining a counter, and
doing 1 modulo division for each iteration, but this is insignificant
compared to updating a progress bar, and you can use whatever number
of iterations produces the best balance of visual feedback/efficiency
for your needs.

Best,

Mark