Looking for inspiration

Beynon, Rob R.Beynon at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed Dec 19 11:29:48 EST 2007

I'm writing tools that bash their way through thousands of lines of input text, and do some processing.

I'd like to have a progress indicator displayed (and indeed, live the tm dials, in particular, that I just got for Xmas!).

But, how does one write a routine to indicate progress without imposing a penalty at each iteration? If I include the "line":

Display the progress bar for number of lines processed/ total number of lines

Than this has as many iterations as lines.

I guess, if there has to be something in the main loop it should be fast, and then send a message to an externally progress display routine?

Is there a sneaky/subtle way around this?

Thoughts appreciated

________________________________

Prof R J Beynon
Proteomics and Functional Genomics Group
Faculty of Veterinary Science
University of Liverpool
Crown Street, Liverpool L69 7ZJ

Phone: +44 151 794 4312

Fax: +44 151 794 4243

Email: r.beynon at liv.ac.uk

http://www.liv.ac.uk/pfg

This email was sent on 12/19/07 at 4:33 PM by Rob Beynon.