OS X cgi error

paolo mazza paolo.mazza at neol.it
Thu Dec 6 08:53:33 EST 2007

Hello Richard,

>I still get the same error when I try to access the cgi script
>through my browser:
>"can't load stack or script   license.rev"
>"premature end of script headers"

I have  never seen this message before. Actually, I do not understand it.

Are you using  Darwin engine 2.1.2 ?  As far as I know this is the last
Darwin engine available.
You can download it from:
http://www.runrev.com/downloads/engines/2.1.2/cgi/osx.zip

I guess there is a problem with you engine.  Some months ago Mark wrote in
this list:

> I mean can we use the engine of the standalone as CGI?

The -ui option works on all platforms and prevents the engine from doing
anything GUI related. Specifically this means that the engine will not
attempt to connect to a window server and will not create windows for
stacks. This makes it possible to use the standalone engine as a
command-script processor from a terminal/shell-script.

However, your mileage will vary when attempting to use standard
standalone engines as CGIs depending on your system setup. In
particular, the OS X engine requires a 'desktop context' to function -
this is not generally available when it is run as a CGI engine from a
web-server installed on OS X.

The reason the Linux standalone engine (will) work as a perfectly good
CGI engine in -ui mode is that it's only direct 'desktop' related
dependency is the Xlib, which is usually installed regardless of whether
a machine is a server or desktop box.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com> writes:
>Paolo,
>
>I've done exactly as you say.
>Nothing in the cgi-bin except for the Darwin engine and the hello.cgi
>script.
>The hello.cgi script is definitely saved as a text file.
>All permissions in the cgi-bin are set to 755.
>The owner of the cgi-executables folder is my login id.
>The group is "www"
>

>Any other ideas? I don't know what to try next.
>
>Thanks.
>Richard

Paolo Mazza
NEOL SRL
Società partecipata da Università di Padova
via N. Tommaseo 84
35131 - Padova (Italy)
Tel 049- 2050147 - Fax 049-7964386
www.neol.it