OS X cgi error

paolo mazza paolo.mazza at neol.it
Thu Dec 6 07:12:34 EST 2007

Hi Richard,
I am glad to know some more people are using Rev as CGI in OSX.  It is a
great tool combined to MAcOSX server!

How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com> writes:
>I'm doing more reading through the archives and getting even more
>confused. Will the Darwin engine run on an Intel Mac?

This is interesting. I am curious too.  It should work but I am not sure
about it.

> Is ANYTHING

>else needed in the CGI folder besides the Darwin engine and the
>hello.cgi script?
>I see references to other Apache libraries that MAY
>be needed, but that's not clear to me. I already asked the question
>about the license.rev stack (is it needed?). Should the hello.cgi
>script use CR or CRLF?

You can use both provided you save the file as text.

On the contrary you have to pay attention to the stack format. The old
Darwin engine do not read the stacks saved in the latest format so,
anytime you have to make a change on these stacks you have to use an old
version of revolution.
This is a mess.I hope we will find a brand new Darwin engine under the
Christmas tree.

>I've tried every possible permission setting and it still does not work.

As far as I know you just need to put the Darwin engine int the cgi-bin
folder and set permission accordingly.

Here it is some documentation about Revolution as CGI . I hope it helps.

The last Darwin engine available is 2.1.2. This version still works
fine. You can get it here:

<http://www.runrev.com/downloads/engines/2.1.2/cgi/osx.zip>

A great  tutorial:
http://www.hyperactivesw.com/cgitutorial/

... and a message  from Andre Garzia and references to his valuable
RevHTTP :

Hi Folks,

I did this announcement on the use-rev mailing list but I guess some
people just use the forum so I am posting it here too. I'll also expand my
text a little since we have no 18k limit here and I feel like writting.

It is with imense happyness that I make available what I came to call
RevOnRockets package. This package is a bundle of a web server, libraries
and demos, everyting in 100% transcript.

The objective is to help the aspiring web developer (and the seasoned one)
to create their web applications, the RevHTTP server runs inside the
Revolution IDE and is able to run text file based cgis as well as serve
files, this alone enables everyone to develop for the web from inside rev,
using the debugger!!! Develop and Test your CGIs from inside revolution!

This is of course freeware with source. All code is commented, specially
the webserver code. I give this to this wonderful community as a token of
gratitude for all the years that everyone and his dog helped me!

What is included:

    * RevHTTP - 100% transcript web server with new features and cleaner
code.
    * EasyCGI Core library - a simple library for building text file cgis.
    * EasySessions - a simple library for session management.
    * EasyDebug - a error report tool for CGIs.
    * libCGI compatibilty functions - RevHTTP has a compatible API that
allows libCGI based apps to run inside it.
    * Demos for all libraries and even AJAX demos!!!

More documentation is expected as time goes. The demos and the libraries
will also have updates. Right now they are very bare but I do like them
and use them everyday.

Have I mentioned that I commented my code yet?

ALL FREE!!!! license is:
cannot-blame-the-brazilian-guy-if-it-explodes-public-license 1.0

Have fun! file is here http://andregarzia.com/RevHTTP.zip

Launch http.rev and click start!

This is the foundations of what I discussed on this post This post. From
here now, I'll build plugins and higher level libraries. Anyone in the
mood to discuss anything?

Cheers,

Paolo Mazza