QT + SMIL = BAD COMBO

Michael mpease at lawandpolitics.com
Mon Dec 3 17:51:55 EST 2007

Hi:

> Been working on a QuickTime editor recently. It's turning out nicely thanks
> to Trevor's fine Enhanced QT external.  I'm creating it for WinXP and Vista.

WinXP or Vista - Mac = BAD COMBO

> I decided to go ahead and use SMIL, one of those oft-touted but apparently
> seldom used XML standards, to do the QT preview compiles.

In my opinion, SMIL isn't all that useful by itself. If you want editing
features, try using Quicktime reference movie files. They are incredibly
useful.

> In anycase, I would recommend staying away from SMIL use

I agree. SMIL isn't that useful for anything other than simply playing a
sequence of files in a specified order. QT reference movie files are much
more useful.