drag/drop/snap button to arc

Emilio Gagliardi emilio at ualberta.ca
Fri Aug 17 17:52:25 EDT 2007

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering how difficult it would be to design and build a stack that
would generate a dozen buttons (based on a set of words, 1 button/word) that
would allow a user to drag the button to an arc, and once over top the arc
would be 'sticky' and stay stuck to the arc until the mouseup event fired at
which time the button would be hidden (I'm thinking I would put some icon in
its place at the point on the arc where the button was released).

I'm trying to develop a new paradigm for an experiment I've been working on,
and I have code working to drag a button on the screen already (mind you
this was code I wrote 2 years ago now) and what I want to create is a
situation where the button starts equidistant from all points on a line,
hence the arc. I don't have much time unfortunately, which is why I'm asking
how hard it would it be to design and build.

Ideally, I'd like to capture the time spent dragging and positioning as
well, but that can wait.

I searched the archives for drag and drop threads but didn't find anything
that was relevant.  If I missed something, please let me know and I'll go
peruse the code.
I can post the code that I have, but it is complicated since I break the
code up in weird ways.

I would gladly take any comments/suggestions to get started ASAP.

thanks very much for your time!

emilio