using mci send string for audio and video on windows

Jeff Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Sat Aug 11 17:00:21 EDT 2007

Hi,

We are looking at the idea of running our little kids cdroms on the
windows platforms w/o quicktime and using mcisendstring commands to
play wmp video files on the pc side (we will use qt versions on the
mac site). also use mcisendstring to play audio wav files on the pc
side also.

Question is how steady is using mci string commands on all the
various windows oses? It feels like i may be asking for a lot of
trouble here. I makes things soooo much easier to let quicktime do
the work on both platforms (rev does well keeping things pretty much
the same on both sides of the world), but we have problems with very
novice users on pc not being able to figure out how to install
quicktime and also a lot of school systems have software installation
blocks which makes it really hard to use anything that requires any
installation like quicktime on pcs...

Has anyone had luck with doing qt on the mac and mci on the pc for
playing video/audio like this? has it made your life miserable with a
lot of platform specific coding/testing? feels like a world of hurt
to me...

thanks

jeff reynolds