Vista dilemma

Scott Kane scott at cdroo.com
Thu Aug 2 11:32:28 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----

> So, question number one. Is there some way to tell my standalone, or   the
> Vista OS, that I really and truly want my check to be performed  on the
> Program Files directly, and not have things redirected to the
> VirtualStore?

First - check out Version in the Help doc's.  Vista is Version 6 I believe
from memory.

Second - Microsoft have stated that Virtualization is not guaranteed to be
in future flavours of the OS.  The whole point of the tool is so that
existing app's don't break - backwards compatibility.  However the logical
thing to do is to change the location of the data using code - consider My
Documents etc.  Otherwise Virtualization is going to bite you one day when
you least expect it (service pack update for example).

> Question number two. If the above is not possible, is there some way  to
> determine (via shell command perhaps) what type of user is  currently
> logged in to the computer (i.e. admin, standard, etc.)? And  if so, would
> this command be available to by any user to run from the  shell? This
> would be a better way to go all around if it's possible.

Admin is spurious under Vista.  You may be the Admin but you are not
considered to be the "Full Admin".  The OS performs that role.  It is
possible to elevate an application to Admin level (executable called
Update.exe or Setup.exe gets this privelidge).  However, again, it's much
better to code so that data is in My Documents or App Data.  In existing
installations move the data as part of an update process.

Scott Kane
Moderator comp.software.shareware.*