OT: I was accepted in Google Summer Of Code.

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Fri Apr 13 01:59:06 EDT 2007

Andre,

> I told him that a  platform is as strong as its developers base, that is
> true for the  Newton that has such strong developers that without Newton
> OS source  or help from apple, they were able to add FAT support, Web
> Servers,  Wifi, even an emulator... and they are now planning for colors,
> COLORS!!!!

[...]

> we need more languages such as rev on niche operating system, if the
> users are not promoted to creative users/developers, there's no  chance
> for them to survive...

You know, I was thinking this, too, as I was playing with a 3Com Ergo Audrey
I recently picked up from eBay ($60). It has a 640x480 color touch-panel
screen; really nice stereo speakers; microphone; USB ports; Compact Flash
card slot; 32MB RAM, Ethernet; wireless keyboard; built-in email; date book,
to-do-list and contacts that sync with Palm devices; a web browser; and lots
of other goodies. It runs the QNX operating system [derivative of Linux],
and some guys hacked it a few years ago to add an MP3 player, photo
album/picture frame, web server, ability to mount NTFS shares; and a bunch
of other stuff ... but most of the hacking died down around 2004. I'd really
love to have Rev on the baby (no joke!) so I could come up with a nice,
integrated experience (the hacks kind of destroy the highly-usable "internet
appliance" gestalt).