Linux installaton

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Fri Apr 6 18:25:23 EDT 2007

Richard wrote:

 >I'll be making my first ports to Linux this year, and I use my own
custom installer for Mac and Win and am looking to extend that for the
Linux installs as well. On Mac and Win it's expected that an installer
will take care of putting any files in the appropriate places, setting
up any associations needed between the app and its document file types,
and make sure icons display appropriately for both the app and its
documents. My understanding is that the various window managers for
Linux each have their own mechanisms for these, and that they aren't the
same. Is that correct? Is there a single site you could recommend to get
familiar with how to write installers for Linux that provide a smooth
user experience?

Richard:

In fact the utility I mentioned is called "InstallShield X". There's
another that might be worth looking at: "Autopackage".

Bob