Valentina license

Luis luis at anachreon.co.uk
Sat Sep 30 19:00:20 EDT 2006

That's the thing that always gets me: The 'connections' cost.
One of the plus sides of Open Source is there are no connection costs
for your database, you decide on the limitations/access rights/
priviliges (delete where least confusing).
I'm not knocking commercial databases for charging for their product,
but I will for that very simple limitation (yes, I do see it as a
limitation).

It's especially limiting for those on a shoestring budget with great
ideas, and the commercial vendors lose out because of this: You have
this great idea for an app, you see great technology in a commercial
database, but you can't afford the unlimited connections licence.
Your product will not sell on the basis of 5 connections, so you look
around again and notice the Open Source alternatives. What to do...
What to do... You incorporate the Open Source database, commercial
vendor loses a potential client. Maybe, just maybe, in the future you
can then afford the commercial database: Do you switch to the
commercial/supported product? Do you risk changing the infrastructure
of your app?

Way I see it.

Cheers,

Luis.