Revolution, MySQL vs FileMaker

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Thu Sep 28 12:00:06 EDT 2006

I know Dreamhost allows remote use - with a connection to a single
IP, verified at the server. That can be the Wan side of a router and
will work for all users in a LAN.

By the way I just put the latest BETA Mac version of MySQL 5.1.1 on
my Powerbook so I can develop without being connected to a network. I
was prepared for a long Terminal session. I was quite surprised.

For those with reluctance to the command line, you'll find you don't
have to use Terminal at all installing the latest versions. It
features a Slick installer and a second installer for starting MySQL
on startup. Finally the MySQL administrator application is 'totally
mac' and is well-executed. I'm sure the other platform versions are
equally good. You might have to login as ROOT a little bit to get it
working.

As far as licensing, it seemed to be freely offered on the MySQL
site. They can come and get me if there's a problem. However, I would
have paid up to $50 for my personal copy if asked.

--
stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o