[OT] Installing SheepShaver (was Re: Classic Emulators)

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Wed Sep 27 20:16:20 EDT 2006

On 9/27/06 6:53 PM, "Jim Carwardine" <JimCarwardine at OwnYourFuture-net.com>
wrote:

> Actually, I'm having trouble understanding how to install SheepShaver as
> well.  The web site assumes a certain level of technical savvy I don't have.
> Ken, can you give us a 6 line primer on how to find such things as the OS
> ROMs, etc?... Jim

Here's the steps I followed (found this on the Ambrosia Software Web Board -
watch the line breaks) - it's a bit more than 6 lines though <grin>:

   1. Create a folder for all the SheepShaver data to go into. I would
suggest something easy to type, like "sheepshaver" in your home directory.
For the purposes of this, I'll assume that you chose
/Users/username/sheepshaver.

   2. Create a folder "share" in the "sheepshaver" folder (for later).

   3. Get a Mac ROM. The one in your Classic system folder may work (I've
been told it should, but mine didn't). I would suggest downloading a ROM
update from Apple and using TomeViewer to extract the ROM. (TomeViewer is a
Classic app itself.)

You can get the ROM here:

   http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/
MultiCountry/Macintosh/System/Mac_OS_ROM/Mac_OS_ROM_Update_1.0.smi.bin

And TomeViewer here:

   http://www.macresource.com/mrp/software/tomeviewer-13d3.sit

Find a machine that can run Classic or already has OS 9, download the ROM
Update and TomeViewer, decompress them and launch TomeViewer. You can then
choos to open a "tome", which will be on the disk image for the ROM Update.
There's an extract option, so select the ROM file and extract it. However
you obtain the ROM, name it "ROM" and place it inside the "sheepshaver"
folder.

   4. Download SheepShaver. (You want the "MacOS X Universal Binary" near
the bottom of the page.)

You can get SheepShaver here:

     http://www.gibix.net/dokuwiki/en:projects:sheepshaver

   5. Decompress SheepShaver and put it where you want. I would suggest
keeping it seperate from the "sheepshaver" folder created above, and naming
the application folder "SheepShaver-May06" (or whatever date the release
was). All of the releases for a while have been numbered 2.3, so the only
way to tell them apart is the date.

   6. Open "SheepShaverGUI.app".

   7. Create a SheepShaver hard drive. Press "Create..." in the window that
appears. Change the size to something usable; I would suggest 400-600 MB.
Navigate to your "sheepshaver" folder and name the drive something like
"os9hd". Press "OK"; it will take a few moments to create the drive (the
program hasn't frozen).

   8. Change the "Unix Root" to /Users/username/sheepshaver/share (or
wherever your "sheepshaver" folder is).

   9. In the "Graphics/Sound" tab, make sure that Window mode is selected
(fullscreen will freeze in this version!) with a refresh rate of 60hz.
Change the width/height to either 640x480, 800x600, or 1024x768, depending
on your screen size. I would recommend you use a standard 4:3 resolution
(one of the three I listed). Make sure "QuickDraw Acceleration" is on, and
"Disable Sound" is off (don't worry about the Output and Mixer devices, they
aren't used on OS X).

  10. In Keyboard/Mouse, turn off "Use Raw Keycodes" and set "Mouse Wheel
Function" to your liking if you have a mouse wheel (which isn't recognized
by OS 9 so SheepShaver has to do something else to pretend).

  11. In Serial/Network, make sure "slirp" is the Ethernet interface.

  12. In Memory/Misc, set the RAM size to something reasonable given your
computer. 128MB should be more than fine (have it set to 64 just to quickly
jump in and out of OS 9, if you're planning on doing a lot you should
probably do 128 or higher). Change the ROM path to
/Users/username/sheepshaver/ROM (or wherever your "sheepshaver" folder is).
You can use the Browse... button for that. Turn off "Ignore Illegal Memory
Accesses" and turn on "Don't Use CPU when idle".

  13. Insert your OS 9 (or earlier) install disk, then press the "Start"
buttton at the bottom. It should boot from the CD; you can then initialize
your OS 9 hard drive and install OS 9.

NOTE: If you are either told that it crashed (less likely) or you get the
standard question mark blinking in the disk icon, don't panic. Sometimes
this happens. If so, quit SheepShaver (you may have to force quit), and then
with your OS 9 disk in the drive, launch the "SheepShaver.app" application
(NOT the "SheepShaver GUI" app).  It should "kick in" and recognize the CD
and boot from there.

   15. Use Special -> Shutdown to always shut down SheepShaver (just like a
real Mac). After the install, shut down and remove the CD. Run
"SheepShaver.app" again. Open the "Sound" (not "Moniters and Sound") control
panel and set the output correctly so you can hear sound. Sound and
networking should both work; you're good to go!

HTH,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/