Progresss while executing AppleScript

Jesse Sng jsng at wayoflife.org
Tue Sep 26 09:31:14 EDT 2006

Hi,

I'm experimenting using Sean Shao's NSProgress widget and I'm using
it to trigger the progress "flower" just before I execute an
Applescript.

The thing that I've discovered is that the Applescript execution
seems to block everything else and that means that even though
NSProgress widget attempts to send messages to itself regularly, as
long as the AS is not completed, the progress flower stops spinning.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a workaround for this - whether it
would be possible to use a send command to trigger the execution of
the AS instead so that we are able to have the main user interface
continue to operate while the AS operates in the background.

Right now, the Applescript runs from within a handler. I know that
one possibility would be to launch a precompiled Applescript from the
app itself so that both can continue running, but I do forsee that
this may not be possible in some cases as I would like to have a
result returned via AS to my app.

I know we don't have threaded execution right now, but is there a way
to "simulate" that when executing an Applescript from within Rev?

Jesse Sng