Package for Windows -- Best Practice

Shari shari at gypsyware.com
Mon Sep 25 22:44:17 EDT 2006

>Some apps do ship with their own uninstallers (but then why not use an
>installer in the first place). However, Windows itself will still not know
>how to uninstall your app, and many users rely on the Add/Remove Programs
>control panel to uninstall applications.
>
>Regards,
>
>Scott Rossi

 From fuzzy memory, I've tried using installer creators before, and
did not care for whichever ones I had tried.  I do have a new one to
try, but haven't had a chance to look at it.

One thing that bothered me had to do with sensitive registration
information.  I really did not want to share that info with an
installer.  All I wanted was the installer to place the program in
the Programs folder and maybe create a desktop shortcut, and let the
program itself do the rest.  In other words, I wanted the installer
to install my software, but I want my software to install any
pertinent other pieces it may need.  Especially where they may relate
to registration.

And if I did not share all that info with the installer, then it's
uninstaller would not properly uninstall.

So it's a Catch-22.

I ended up just putting an Uninstall option in the menus of the
software.  If someone wants to get rid of the software, they can run
the Uninstaller, it will remove everything that is outside the
program's folder, then when they delete the folder all traces are
gone.

I'd like to get away from this.  But with both Mac and Windows
creating things outside the folder whether I want it or not, even if
I move to everything being in one place, they'd still need a way to
Uninstall.

Windows needs registry things.  Mac has the whole plist thing.  And
as far as I know, both are unavoidable.

Shari
--
Gypsy King Software