about Galaxy

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 18:54:34 EDT 2006

It feels to me like this discussion has tended to drift into an either-or
when I think both-and is perhaps a more realistic and useful viewpoint.

Rev should indeed have a usable, as-bug-free-as-possible IDE out of the box.
And the out-of-the-box experience needs dramatic improvement.

But there are numerous styles of development being used. It is all but
impossible to expect that all or even most Rev users would find any IDE
suitable across the board. The multi-palette, separated-tool approach taken
by RR is one that most VB programmers can identify with. The single-window,
tabbed approach not only to scripting but to property editing and other work
that Daniels & Mara takes is vastly preferable to folks who llike an
integrated IDE (which includes a lot of the Big Player Tools for other
languages, such as Eclipse and Visual Studio [depending on settings as I
understand it]).

I really prefer Galaxy. But my experiences with Rev 2.7.x on OS X have
been...shall we say...a bit adventuresome for my taste. So I couldn't even
use Galaxy until Jerry's recent release for 2.6.1, which is where I still do
all my development work as I test and monitor the 2.7 base.

Bottom line: there is no bottom line. Choice and diversity are good things.
I don't see a need to create an either-or situation.

But maybe that's just me being mellow for a change. :-)