about Galaxy

Jerry Daniels jerry at daniels-mara.com
Mon Sep 25 11:15:58 EDT 2006

I see no reason to discriminate against Altuit Software just because
it's developed it on Windows and I use a Mac and Windows! Maybe I
should. Chipp brings up an excellent point. I think we should
consider it. <GRIN>

Seriously, Galaxy is tested on Windows and Mac. Any time there are
problems with one platform or another, we don't publish a version for
the platform with problems. We've had to do this a couple times. So
you are correct in stating that this is difficult. The innuendo that
current release versions of Galaxy are not Windows ready, is,
however, not the case.

I will say that the version of Galaxy released at RevCon was hurried
to release for the show and probably should have been given a lower
version number. The versions of Galaxy sold and posted here on the
Runrev site have been--and are--ready for both platforms.
Unfortunately, careless posting of incorrect information has led to
false perceptions about our products. It's time to clear that up.

Once upon a time, the Galaxy support site used to have all test
versions posted. We posted fixes and new features almost every day.
It was fun and exciting. We thought a more "open" production
environment would please our users.

Then one day we found some users were posting messages on this list
indicating there were bugs in Galaxy when they were actually using
test versions from our support site, which of course had bugs--that's
why they were labeled with test versions. Just like some users post
messages here that Galaxy cannot be removed from the IDE while using
it, when, of course, you can.

We have for the last month or so, stopped posting test versions to
our support site unless these versions are more like release
candidate level product because of the poor judgement a few people
exercise. We have a dedicated QA site with Mac and Windows users
testing our products. Our main Windows tester does QA for a living. I
have a Dell sitting right next to my Mac on my desk. Every version I
post to QA gets tested on the Dell.

All users of our products are encouraged to post bugs or performance
problems to our site where we deal with them expeditiously. We can't
fix what we don't know about or what we can't replicate. Creating IDE
components is demanding work and some bugs take time to fix, but we
do fix them. People who work with us can attest to this fact.