simple mailto hack (Re: Digest Reply Link)

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Tue Sep 19 13:20:36 EDT 2006

Graham-

Tuesday, September 19, 2006, 3:51:49 AM, you wrote:

> Not here it ain't. Here is a typical raw source header from within
> the digest as received by me:

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 11:53:55 -0700
> From: Devin Asay <devin_asay at byu.edu>
> Subject: Re: Folder permissions question
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>

...and that is indeed the correct header info for that message. I see
the same. But each message also has a header (look at the raw source
for the digest itself, not the individual messages) that specifies the
Content-Type as being "message/rfc822". And before that, right after
the digest header itself, is a tag defining the block containing the
messages as "multipart/digest". That's what allows email clients to
break the digest down into single messages rather than a monolithic
piece of text.

> So, my (probably inadequate anyway) mail client - Mac Mail - can't do
> anything unassisted.

That's more to the point. The mail list software is generating the
list in exactly the right format. It's up to the developers of email
client software to handle MIME digests properly.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net