[OT] - Where the Programming Jobs Appear to Be

Dan Shafer revolutionary.dan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 15:07:23 EDT 2006

EWeek has an article on the top 10 programming languages when measured by
job opportunities. The top 5 (no surprises except you might consider
JavaScript kind of a stunner):

Java has 14,408 opportunities
C (all forms, perhaps except C#) - 6,168
C# - 5,111
Perl - 4,810
JavaScript - 4,406

Job openings were culled from online tech job placement service Dice.com,
which is as good an indicator as any. Python showed up but with under 1,000
opportunities. Needless to say, Rev isn't there.

The encouraging thing is that the article points up to professional coders
the need to be multi-lingual and to learn new languages regularly. Which
means that I may be wrong when I say that pro coders don't have or take time
to learn new tools.