RR Forums

Lynn Fredricks lynn at paradigmasoft.com
Tue Sep 5 15:34:53 EDT 2006

> Personally I also dislike the specific benefits made by Lynn
> of a forum of posts being editable or controllable. these
> lists are very self limiting and the few storms that come up
> go away quickly. a good free and open discourse is the heart
> and sole of what makes this such a wonderful list for all and
> probably one of the major supports of the product for the
> company (and i would hesitate to say w/o it, it may not have
> made it this far). a big brother approach to this kind of
> discourse (ie channeling, censoring, or editing) ruins it
> with even the threat of it.

Storms never go away because lists are retransmitted and syndicated, often
without permission from the list owner.

A lot of list software also doesn't allow easy editing of archives. So, for
example, if some person transmitted a bunch of illegal serial numbers or
made untrue, libelous or fraudulent statements on a mailing list its
extremely hard to clean up later.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
Worldwide Business Operations