Good ways to overcomplicate your code and slow down development

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Sep 15 13:14:55 EDT 2006

On 9/15/06 11:54 AM, "Mark Wieder" <mwieder at ahsoftware.net> wrote:

>> If anyone else has common timewasters and app bloating techniques,
>> let's hear 'em!
>
> Comments. Don't put in comment lines - they only slow down trying to
> read the actual code. Code, especially xtalk, should be readable by
> itself. If your code needs comments then it isn't well written.

Although I agree with you to some degree, I feel that comments are necessary
to identify certain "blocks" of functionality; not necessarily individual
lines, or for certain exceptions for the next programmer, like:

  -- Had to do this workaround due to a bug in Rev

or

  -- Put this here because Scott told me he wants it here (don't move it!)

You get the idea...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/