Windows newbie Qs (this time with questions)

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Thu Sep 14 10:05:34 EDT 2006

On Sep 14, 2006, at 5:39 AM, Ian Wood wrote:

> Ah, the terrors of hitting 'send' instead of 'save'...
>
> =====================================
>
> I'm finally doing a 'proper' Windows app and have a few questions:
>
> 1) Normal preference file location - specialFolderPath(26) and then
> a new folder with the name of the app?

FWIW, that is how I approach it.  26 is the system directory that
serves as a common repository for application-specific data.

Looking at my code, I have a branch when getting the user data
folder.  On Win 2000 and above I use specialFolderPath(26), otherwise
I query the registry:

put queryRegistry("HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\AppData") into thePath

This is old code and my notes seem to indicate that 26 should work on
98 and above (and 95 with IE 4 installed) out of the box so I'm not
sure why I have the registry query in there.  Maybe do some tests on
Win 98 if you need to support that or ME to confirm it works.

> 2) "Do you really want to run this horrendously dangerous app from
> an unknown source?"  At the moment I'm not so bothered about
> sorting out a proper digital signature, but how do you get
> something other than 'Unknown Publisher' to appear in the dialog box?

Don't know about this one.

> 3) Opening a specific folder in Windows Explorer - on  Mac I use a
> small AppleScript, on Windows I assume this is going to invlove a
> shell script?

http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2004-September/
044466.html

--