Memory leakage / memory problems

Luis luis at anachreon.co.uk
Thu Sep 14 07:51:42 EDT 2006

In the Control Panel (if in XP switch to 'Classic View) and go into
Administrative Tools. Once there double-click on Event Viewer: This will
tell you what's happening with the system and applications - Select
'Application' on the left hand side and the right hand side panel will
show you the events the system logs in relation to the applications
running. From there you can trace back the event by date or time.
If it doesn't appear there then select the 'System' option on the left
hand side to view events that are reported by the system directly.

If it's only affecting one user make sure that this user is running the
same version, by that I mean that the patch level is the same and all
the same updates have been applied.

It could also be that there is a problem with the memory chip itself
(happens!) or a faulty HD (this may show up as a bad block report in the
Event Viewer.

Another option is to use the 'System Monitor' (it's called 'Performance'
in the Administrative Tools section): In there you can add monitoring
events to see what is going on with the system.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Luis.