Memory leakage / memory problems

Martin Baxter mb.ur at harbourhosting.co.uk
Thu Sep 14 07:50:14 EDT 2006

Richard Miller wrote:
> Well, I'm not that knowledgeable about Windows either... Looking at the
> Task Manager and the Performance area, which numbers are the critical
> ones to monitor? Is it the "available" memory, and if so, when does that
> number get so low that it becomes a problem? Do I watch CPU usage?... or
> is the "commit charge" info a critical variable?
>
> Thanks.
> Richard
>

> On Sep 14, 2006, at 6:23 AM, Ian Wood wrote:
>
>> It might not be *your* program that's having problems. :-(
>>
>> I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to Windows, but leaving the
>> Task Manager open so that you can see what resources different apps
>> are using would probably be a good start. Then leave it all running
>> and wait until there are problems. Don't you just love intermittent bugs?
>>
>> Ian

My understanding <insert usual caveats here> is that "Commit charge" is
the amount of memory currently in use, including both physical ram and
virtual (disk) memory. Limit shows the maximum that's available. Peak
shows the maximum usage in the current session.

In the case of a memory leak, each time the offending code is executed,
the commit charge will rise by an amount that is not subsequently
released. Eventually it will reach Limit, at which point you would
expect problems.

In the processes tab you should be able to see which process is hogging
all that memory.

Martin Baxter