remove html tags from text

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 8 11:07:16 EDT 2006

I would add a loop to clean up the formatting of the returned text, since
html formatting is usually done for the convenience of the programmer, not
the viewer.

On 9/8/06 6:10 AM, "Mark Smith" <mark at maseurope.net> wrote:

> barely tested, but maybe a starting point:
>
> function striptags tHtml
>    replace cr with empty in tHtml -- in case of multi-line tags
>
>    replace "<" with cr & "<" in tHtml
>    replace ">" with ">" & cr in tHtml
>
>    filter tHtml without "*<*"
>    filter tHtml without "*>*"
    repeat for each line LNN in tHtml
      put word 1 to -1 of LNN  & cr after newHtml
   end repeat
   filter newHtml without empty
-- now there are no leading/trailing spaces, no empty lines

replace cr with space in newHtml
--now there are no cr's, since you would not know where they should be if
 --the tags are simply stripped.
--To get the paragraphs of an html page is tricky, since there are several
 --tags and techniques for displaying blocks of text (<p><BR><td><span>)

   return newHtml