Accessing files on CD drives under Windows

Francis Nugent Dixon effendi at wanadoo.fr
Wed Nov 29 11:18:17 EST 2006

Hi from Paris,

I have a CD whose Volume Name I know, and also I know the
names of certain files on the CD. I want to have access to these
files from a general button script. On the Mac, "the volumes" gives
me the names of the mounted volumes (including my CD's), so I
can build the complete path names, and then reference, open and
dispose of the CD files as I wish.

On the PC, "the volumes" gives me a list of units (C:, D:, etc.), which
is completely useless, cos I don't know on which unit my CD is
mounted.

OK - So l can try programming around this problem !

Because I know the names of some the files on the CD, I can do a
"if there is a fileToto" (to identify the drive ID), on all the units I
find in
the "volumes" function. Once I know the drive ID, I can do what I want
with the files on that CD.

Here, we have a problem in my search loop, because if there is no
volume mounted on any of the units in the list (which is always the
case), I get a Windows interrogation :
"There is no volume on unit x: - continue or cancel, etc." ..........
so my programmed search is is no longer possible.

Anybody know how I can find the Volume Names on all the PC devices,
as is possible on the Mac, so I can access my CD files ?

I think I must have missed something ........ !

-Francis

"Nothing should ever be done for the first time !"