Parser

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Wed Nov 15 12:06:04 EST 2006

At 9:54 AM -0600 11/14/2006, Ken Ray wrote:
>>  (and that "the" is anal-required)
>
>For properties, yes, but most functions have a () alternative.

All functions, actually. (A few built-in functions won't take the
"the" form; all of them have a "()" form. And of course custom
functions require "()".)

As for properties: correct syntax for all xTalk variants I know of is
to precede the property name with "the". An expression such as "get
hilite of me" is not correct HyperTalk. It's true that HyperTalk is
looser about this particular mistake (and others) than Transcript -
I'm not sure about SuperTalk - but that doesn't mean it was "right"
in HyperCard. HyperCard is forgiving about a number of syntax
mistakes, which is good (because the script can be executed anyway)
yet bad (because it promotes the development of bad habits).

You could develop an xTalk that drops "the" before properties, but
then you have a serious name-collision problem shaping up, so I'm not
sure that's such a hot idea. It's only four characters, and it makes
the reference unambiguous.
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com