Shell commands are blocking -- work around?

Kay C Lan lan.kc.macmail at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 09:24:21 EST 2006

Me, I'd just create a separate 'Search Stack'. Not a substack, but a
separate standalone so that it has it's own process id and memory. I've used
this technique with great success for a DB searcher. My 'Individual Record'
stack has a link to my 'Bulk Search' stack. A bulk or All search can take up
to 5 min and I can leave it to do it's thing whilst I work with the
'Individual Record' stack. I don't have any bell or whistle to let me know
when the Bulk Search is over - I can usually tell because the table field is
filled in, but I'm sure it would be easy to add. From my 'Bulk Search' stack
clicking on any line (1 record) will immediately send an individual search
and display the result in the 'Individual Record' stack - split second fast.

Just another option.