UDP question

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Fri Nov 10 22:29:06 EST 2006

Andre-

Friday, November 10, 2006, 7:50:48 AM, you wrote:

> I have two stacks, one is a udp server stack and the other is a
> client stack. The server is setup to use the newPacket callback
> message when a datagram arrives. The client will write to the server
> then it will read from the socket to see if there was any answer.

> The client is able to write to the server fine, the datagrams arrive
> nicelly. The server is not able to answer back, no error is reported
> by the write to socket message but nothing is returned to the server,
> the read from socket message after the write to socket on the client
> returns empty. I've sent more than 1k packets, they could not be all
> droped since on one way it all works fine but on the other way they
> simply don't work.

We ran into the same thing setting up a UDP demo in Malta. The server
could send a broadcast packet which was received by the client. The
client would then respond to the packet but the response was
apparently never picked up by the server. The same thing works fine
using TCP. There seems to be a bug with either a) responding to UDP
broadcast packets or b) receiving responses to UDP broadcast packets.
We had to code around this by using known IP addresses.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net